Australian Packaging Covenant
In line with the responsibility as an international corporate citizen to care for the environment, KYOCERA Document Solutions Australia Pty Ltd has re-signed and committed to Australian Packaging Covenant. The Australian Packaging Covenant replaces the National Packaging Covenant which expired on 30 June 2010.
What is the Australian Packaging Covenant?
The Australian Packaging Covenant (‘Covenant’) is an agreement between companies in the supply chain and all levels of government to reduce the environmental impacts of consumer packaging. This will be achieved by:
- designing packaging that is more resource efficient and more recyclable;
- increasing the recovery and recycling of used packaging from households and away-from-home sources; and
- taking action to reduce the incidence and impacts of litter.
The Covenant is based on the waste hierarchy: that is, it puts high priority on avoiding and minimising packaging waste, followed by reuse, recycling, recovery and finally, disposal.
As a signatory to the Covenant, KYOCERA Document Solutions Australia Pty Ltd:
- acknowledges that packaging has economic and social benefits, which include the containment, preservation, protection, marketing, distribution and branding of goods. Packaging also has environmental impacts throughout its life cycle which need to be managed.
- agree to work together to implement and promote the principle of product stewardship for packaging. This means that responsibility for managing the environmental impacts of packaging is shared throughout the supply chain (raw material suppliers, packaging manufacturers and suppliers, brand owners and retailers) and by consumers, waste service providers, recyclers and all levels of government - Australian, state, territory and local.
The objective of the Covenant is to minimise the overall environmental impacts of packaging by pursuing these performance goals:
- Design: optimise packaging to use resources efficiently and reduce environmental impact without compromising product quality and safety.
- Recycling: efficiently collect and recycle packaging.
- Product Stewardship: demonstrate commitment by all signatories.
These goals will be achieved through the collaborative efforts of the Covenant Council and the actions of individual signatories. The Covenant Council will assist signatories to meet their Covenant obligations through capacity building. The Covenant commences on 1 July 2010. The Covenant Council will evaluate the Covenant’s performance every 5 years and will report the outcomes to Environmental Protection and Heritage Council (EPHC).
To view KYOCERA Document Solutions Australia’s Australian Packaging Covenant Action Plan click here
To view KYOCERA Document Solutions Australia's Australian Packaging Covenant Annual Report click here
Further information relating to the Packaging Covenant simply visit: www.packagingcovenant.org.au/